Fixed term contracts, 6 months initially
Technician/Assistant Supervisor £20,666 - £23,897; Supervisor £23,331 - £26,498 Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Salisbury or Sheffield (other locations considered)
Wessex Archaeology, operating throughout the UK, is a market leader in the provision of integrated archaeological and heritage management services to government, education and the private sector. As a registered charity, we aim to promote the advancement of education, the arts, culture, heritage and science
An opportunity has arisen for additional geophysicists to join the Geoservices Team based in our Sheffield and Salisbury offices. The successful candidates will be well-placed to develop and improve their existing geophysics skills and will have the opportunity to work on some of the highest profile and most interesting development projects in the UK today.
The primary responsibilities of the Technician/Assistant Supervisor role include:
- To be responsible for assisting in the delivery of a comprehensive range of geophysical surveys (gradiometer, resistivity, GPR, EM, ERT) on field investigations across the UK;
- To assist in the preparation, checking, editing, collation, and processing of digital data;
- To assist other members of the team with project-specific research to support and inform the preparation of reports.
The primary responsibilities of the Supervisor role include:
- To be responsible for assisting in the delivery and management of a comprehensive range of geophysical surveys (gradiometer, resistivity, GPR, EM, ERT), both office-based and on field investigations across the UK;
- To lead small teams in the field
- To assist other members of the team with project-specific research to support and inform the preparation of reports;
- To ensure the preparation of client reports is carried out in accordance with relevant legislation, planning policy, and current national guidance; and
- To prepare, check, edit, collate, and process digital data.
The successful candidates must have a demonstrable understanding of British Aarchaeology and the typical responses expected from various features for each technique.
- A good degree in archaeology or related subject;
- An excellent, organised and efficient researcher;
- Ability to work with self-awareness and the confidence to ask questions;
- Ability to manage own time and work to tight deadlines;
- A flexible approach to working hours to meet the demands of the role, including working away from home;
- The ability to work as part of a team and the willingness to support and assist others;
- A full, clean driving licence;
- A valid CSCS card
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Archaeologists;
- SSSTS qualification.
The behavioral attributes that we expect from you are:
- Be open to learning and receiving direction;
- Be approachable in providing support, guidance and advice;
- Communicate appropriately and respectfully;
- Be responsible and accountable for your work, actions and decisions;
- Be confident, innovative and show good judgement in problem solving and decision making;
- To work collegiately across all departments and regional offices.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form (available from the vacancies page on our website www.wessexarch.co.uk/vacancies) with a copy of their CV; and returned by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business Wednesday 18th August 2021. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged. Please note: applications will be review on a rolling basis and we may fill vacancies before the closing date.
Further details, including Role Descriptions can be downloaded from our website. For all queries, please contact Tom Richardson (Terrestrial Geophysics Technical Manager) email@example.com.
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that the successful candidate must by the start of their employment have permission to work in the UK. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.