Our Registered Organisation scheme is open to any business or individual carrying out archaeology services on a commercial basis, universities, museums, curatorial organisations at national and local level, and the voluntary sector. As a Registered Organisation you can:
- Demonstrate the quality of your work
- Show you meet a recognised quality benchmark
- Highlight your contribution to the protection of the historic environment
- Provide informed and reliable advice
- Minimise uncertainty, delay and cost for your clients
- Subscribe to our Code of conduct
We monitor Registered Organisations’ compliance with CIfA regulations every three years through an application and inspection process.
We actively promote the scheme to potential clients through our advocacy work, publications and recruitment activities.
As a Registered Organsiation, you will:
- receive an annual registration certificate
- be able to use the CIfA Registered Organisation designation on your website
- use the CIfA Registered Organisations logo on promotional materials
- include a directory entry in the CIfA Yearbook
- be listed on this website under 'Find a Registered Organisation'
- Free publicity material about the benefits of using ROs for distribution to your clients
- receive a library copy of The Archaeologist magazine and our professional practice papers
Registering your organisation
Any historic environment organisation may apply for registration. In order to qualify you must
- pass the following resolution that
"All [archaeological/historic environment] work of [the organisation] shall be carried out in accordance with the Code of conduct, the Charter, by-law and regulations of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists"
- identify who your Responsible Post-holder within the organisation will be. This person is defined as holding
"a position within the management structure of an organisation which represents the highest level of specifically archaeological responsibility, whether or not any other archaeological posts are subordinate to that position"
- The Responsible Post-holder must be a Member of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (MCIfA) before you can apply for registration. To do this, please go to individual accreditation to apply online.
You can apply to register by completing our online form using the button below. As part of this you will also need to upload a more detailed application form, see below.
There is an initial application fee (currently £300) for the registration of your organisation. If your organisation is accepted, you will pay an annual fee based on the financial turnover of your historic environment operations.
Special offer! Organisations whose role is exclusively either as a Higher Education Institute or curatorial authority will be charged at the lowest subscription rate.
New applicants only - current ROs update use the Update Contact Details page
If you need further help or want to discuss your application, telephone 0118 966 2841 or email kerry.wiggins [at] archaeologists.net
- Regulations for the registration of organisations
- Organisations subscription forms 2020-21
- Registration committee meeting dates
CIfA's official language is English.