Our AGM is booked! Please join us on Wednesday 10 January from 5:30 to 6:30 via Microsoft Teams. Registration link, nomination information and agenda to come,
The International Practice group provides a forum for historic environment professionals working on projects and initiatives based outside of the UK and Republic of Ireland and advises CIfA Advisory Council on issues relevant to international practice of archaeological and cultural heritage management.
We are keen to strengthen the CIfA’s links with a number of international associations, organisations and initiatives involved in cultural heritage professional practice, capacity building and training. We would like to enhance international perspectives in CIfA, with a view to fostering innovation by learning from ongoing debates and advances in other countries and regions.
The International Practice Group will be acting as a think tank for the delivery of the CIfA strategic plan, with a particular focus on:
- Promoting the advancement of archaeological and cultural heritage practice and initiatives on professional practice outside the UK and Ireland
- Exploring issues related to professional standards, methodology, ethics, training and capacity building in countries and cultures with diverse social, cultural and legal systems
- Working towards the preparation of an international code of conduct/best practice guide
- Exchanging and developing knowledge, ideas and practical experiences, to develop best practice
- Organising seminars and workshops to act as a forum for developing and maintaining best practice in matters relating to international cultural heritage
- Establishing relationships and strengthening CIfA links with other international associations and organisations involved in international cultural heritage (e.g. EAA, ICOMOS, ICAHM, IAIA)
- Advising Council on actions it might take in an advocacy role to effect advances in archaeological and heritage practice and management (e.g. European Union, Council of Europe, UNESCO)
- Bringing together international commercial and academic practice on survey, research, heritage management and policy
- Increase understanding of the role of archaeologists in society and improve our status
Join the Group
Membership is free to CIfA members through the Members area login. Those who are not members of the institute will need to pay an annual £10 fee and can join here
Leonora O'Brien (Chair)
Caroline Pathy-Barker (Secretary)
Jamie Quartermaine (Treasurer)
Specialist competence matrix
This specialist matrix is to assist applicants and the Validation committee to see where you demonstrate the grade applied for when working Internationally.
Guides to working overseas
The International Practice Group are working on the production of guides for anybody wishing to work in archaeology overseas. These contain a variety of useful information - guides to working in Norway and Hungary have already been produced. Please contact us at groups [at] archaeologists.net
For information about upcoming events, please visit our event calendar.
More recent minutes will be uploaded soon.
IPSIG 2019 AGM Minutes