21 – 23 April 2021, online event
CIfA is delighted to announce that our annual conference will be hosted exclusively online from Wednesday, 21 April - Friday, 23 April 2021.
CIfA2021 will incorporate keynote addresses, wide-ranging sessions and training workshops in a virtual forum and will discuss current professional issues, showcase new developments, and present research in archaeology and the wider heritage sector. Our conference is the premier professional archaeological conference in the UK, and attracts hundreds of participants over three days.
In moving to an online format for the CIfA 2021 conference, our hope is that our digital programme will improve the accessibility of the conference for all, whilst shielding participants; particularly those who may be at risk or vulnerable, from COVID-19.
Registration for CIfA2021 has now closed.
If you have registered for CIfA2021 and have not yet received your login details for the portal, please let us know by emailing: email@example.com
CIfA2021 online is sponsored by Towergate Insurance
We'll be hosting 24 sessions across 3 days where we look to the future and ask what more can we do to promote the profession and our professionalism?
Please see our conference programme and session abstracts below for the full details of our conference seminars, CPD workshops, panels and social discussions:
- CIfA2021 online: annual conference programme
- CIfA2021 online: session abstracts, timetables and presenters
At CIfA2021 we will be looking to the future and asking what more can we do to promote the profession and our professionalism. Over the last decade we have defined new entry routes into archaeology and set out the career structures and competence requirements for professional archaeologists, but how can we maximise these to attract new, and diverse, talent and promote the value and quality of the work we do? Where can we further develop and reinforce the standards and good practice championed by the Institute to ensure we consistently understand and meet our professional obligation to deliver public benefit? And how, as a profession, can we better equip ourselves with the ethical and professional knowledge, skills and behaviours required in a changing, and challenging, environment? None of these are new concepts, but ones that we must all engage with.
Want to know more about CIfA2021? Visit our conference FAQ page which addresses many of the common questions we are asked about the annual CIfA conference. If you have a specific question about the conference that isn't addressed by our FAQ, please do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help!
CIfA2021 platform - how to guides and demonstration
Please visit our CIfA2021 platform page to find out more about the platform we'll be using for the conference. Here, you'll also be able to find instructions and view some short demonstration videos on:
- logging into the portal
- accessing a conference session
- viewing a session recording
- platform features to network and interact with other attendees
If you do however, have any further questions about the platform we'll be using or require any help with logging in or accessing the conference please contact us.
On registering for CIfA2021, you'll receive access to our dedicated conference platform which champions flexibility and accessibility for attendees as well as great opportunities for virtual networking with colleagues.
Our custom-built, easy to use platform features:
- Build your own schedule - all of your sessions are in the one place and you can pick and choose which ones you want to attend. No need to register, wait for links in emails or keep on top of each and every link for every session. Our platform is also available as an app so you can access the conference on the go from your phone or tablet
- Live sessions - access to attend and participate in all of the live sessions on the day(s) that you've registered for
- On-demand and 90-day exclusive access to all of the recorded sessions for the day(s) you've registered - this gives you the flexibility to view sessions at your own pace or fit in with work or personal commitments. Choose to attend live sessions, watch the ones that you missed, go back and watch the ones that clash with that session you're viewing live, take a break when you need to, or return to watch the session again anytime you'd like - the site will be live for 365 days!
- Connect with other conference delegates - complete your profile, add a biography, view our attendee list and then send a request to connect. Network and make new contacts with text chat and integrated one-on-one or group video calling
- Get social - access to our virtual drop in 'chat cafes' during lunch breaks and our evening discussion sessions. Continue the conversation, catch up, meet other delegates or chat about other relevant topics
To preview our CIfA2021 conference portal, please view our demonstration video below which highlights some of these features and how you can join sessions, register, and interact with other conference delegates:
CIfA2021 is dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion, nationality, education, experience, career or speciality. By registering to attend CIfA2021 you confirm you have read our CIfA2021 online conference harassment page and understand that any form of harassment, discrimination and bullying is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
CIfA2021 aims to be as accessible and inclusive as possible and further information on online conference accessibility can be found here. If you have any requests or suggestions for how we can make the conference more accessible for you, please do get in touch at email@example.com.
If you have any questions or would like any further information on CIfA2021, please don’t hesitate to contact our team on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up to date with the latest conference news via our eBulletin and on social media: #CIfA2021.
CIfA2021 also supported by Historic England
Our annual conference has been held since CIfA formed in 1982. A list of recent conferences is shown below with links to the conference programme or (for more recent events) the conference webpages.
- 2020 - Cancelled due to COVID-19
- 2019 - Leeds - Archaeology: values, benefits and legacies
- 2018 - Brighton - Pulling together: collaboration, synthesis, innovation
- 2017 - Newcastle - Archaeology: a global profession
- 2016 - Leicester - Archaeology in Context
- 2015 - Cardiff - The future of your profession
- 2014 - Glasgow - Research in Practice
- 2013 - Birmingham - Making Waves
- 2012 - Oxford - Working in Partnership
- 2011 - Reading - Understanding Significance