21 – 23 April 2021, online event
CIfA is delighted to announce that our annual conference will be hosted exclusively online from Wednesday, 21 April - Friday, 23 April 2021.
CIfA2021 will incorporate keynote addresses, wide-ranging sessions and training workshops in a virtual forum and will discuss current professional issues, showcase new developments, and present research in archaeology and the wider heritage sector. Our conference is the premier professional archaeological conference in the UK, and attracts hundreds of participants over three days.
In moving to an online format for the CIfA 2021 conference, our hope is that our digital programme will improve the accessibility of the conference for all, whilst shielding participants; particularly those who may be at risk or vulnerable, from COVID-19.
CIfA2021 online is sponsored by Towergate Insurance
At CIfA2021 we will be looking to the future and asking what more can we do to promote the profession and our professionalism. Over the last decade we have defined new entry routes into archaeology and set out the career structures and competence requirements for professional archaeologists, but how can we maximise these to attract new, and diverse, talent and promote the value and quality of the work we do? Where can we further develop and reinforce the standards and good practice championed by the Institute to ensure we consistently understand and meet our professional obligation to deliver public benefit? And how, as a profession, can we better equip ourselves with the ethical and professional knowledge, skills and behaviours required in a changing, and challenging, environment? None of these are new concepts, but ones that we must all engage with.
Registration now open!
Registration for CIfA2021 is now open with early bird registration pricing available until Friday 19 March 2021.
Fees will be increased after that date until registration closes. To find out more about joining CIfA to obtain member pricing for CIfA2021, please visit our join CIfA page to find out more.
Pricing and bursaries
Early bird pricing (for registrations before Friday 19 April 2021)
|Membership||Single day (per day)||All three days|
|CIfA Student member/unwaged||£20||£50|
In our aim of making the conference as accessible as possible, we have a number of bursary options available to assist with the cost of registering and participating in CIfA2021. To find out more about the bursaries that are available as well as how to apply, please visit our CIfA2021 bursary options page.
In registering for the conference you'll receive:
- Access to attend the live sessions on the day that you've registered
- On-demand and 90-day exclusive access to all of the recorded sessions for the day you've registered - this gives you the flexibility to fit your attendance in with work or personal commitments. Choose to attend live sessions, watch the ones that you missed, go back and watch the sessions that clash with that session you're attending live, take a break anytime you wish or return to watch the session again anytime for 365 days
- Access to our virtual drop in 'chat cafes' during breaks and in the evening to meet other conference delegates. Continue the conversation or chat about other relevant topics
Call for Papers
Whilst we have confirmed our conference sessions for CIfA2021, most of these sessions are actively accepting and calling for papers and would welcome submissions from individuals, groups or organisations who may be interested in contributing to the session at CIfA2021.
Please see our draft timetable and session abstracts below for further information, including details of the sessions actively seeking papers and how to contribute a paper:
- CIfA2021 Draft conference timetable (revised 15 January 2021)
- CIfA2021 Draft session abstracts (revised 18 December 2020)
The deadline for the submission of papers is 15 January 2021.
Sponsorship, exhibitors and advertising
We have a variety of sponsorship, advertising and promotional opportunities available for the CIfA2021 online conference. To find out more, please see our 2021 sponsorship, advertising and exhibitor brochure which details our packages, options and advertising opportunities in full. To enquire about any of the options in our brochure, or for any questions or further information, please contact us via: email@example.com.
CIfA2021 is dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion, nationality, education, experience, career or speciality. By registering to attend CIfA2021 you confirm you have read our CIfA2021 online conference harassment page and understand that any form of harassment, discrimination and bullying is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
CIfA2021 aims to be as accessible and inclusive as possible and further information on online conference accessibility can be found here. If you have any requests or suggestions for how we can make the conference more accessible for you, please do get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions or would like any further information on CIfA2021, please don’t hesitate to contact our team on: email@example.com
Keep up to date with the latest conference news via our eBulletin and on social media: #CIfA2021.
Our annual conference has been held since CIfA formed in 1982. A list of recent conferences is shown below with links to the conference programme or (for more recent events) the conference webpages.
- 2020 - Cancelled due to COVID-19
- 2019 - Leeds - Archaeology: values, benefits and legacies
- 2018 - Brighton - Pulling together: collaboration, synthesis, innovation
- 2017 - Newcastle - Archaeology: a global profession
- 2016 - Leicester - Archaeology in Context
- 2015 - Cardiff - The future of your profession
- 2014 - Glasgow - Research in Practice
- 2013 - Birmingham - Making Waves
- 2012 - Oxford - Working in Partnership
- 2011 - Reading - Understanding Significance