21 – 23 April 2021, online event
CIfA is delighted to announce that our annual conference will be hosted exclusively online from Wednesday, 21 April - Friday, 23 April 2021.
CIfA2021 will incorporate keynote addresses, wide-ranging sessions and training workshops in a virtual forum and will discuss current professional issues, showcase new developments, and present research in archaeology and the wider heritage sector. Our conference is the premier professional archaeological conference in the UK, and attracts hundreds of participants over three days.
In moving to an online format for the CIfA 2021 conference, our hope is that our digital programme will improve the accessibility of the conference for all, whilst shielding participants; particularly those who may be at risk or vulnerable, from COVID-19.
CIfA2021 online is sponsored by Towergate Insurance
At CIfA2021 we will be looking to the future and asking what more can we do to promote the profession and our professionalism. Over the last decade we have defined new entry routes into archaeology and set out the career structures and competence requirements for professional archaeologists, but how can we maximise these to attract new, and diverse, talent and promote the value and quality of the work we do? Where can we further develop and reinforce the standards and good practice championed by the Institute to ensure we consistently understand and meet our professional obligation to deliver public benefit? And how, as a profession, can we better equip ourselves with the ethical and professional knowledge, skills and behaviours required in a changing, and challenging, environment? None of these are new concepts, but ones that we must all engage with.
Draft timetable and conference programme
We'll be hosting 24 sessions across 3 days where we look to the future and ask what more can we do to promote the profession and our professionalism?
Please see our draft timetable and session abstracts below for the full details of our conference seminars, CPD workshops, panels and social discussions:
Our call for papers has now closed and our full programme will be announced soon!
Want to know more about CIfA2021? Visit our conference FAQ page which addresses many of the common questions we are asked about the annual CIfA conference. If you have a specific question about the conference that isn't addressed by our FAQ, please do contact us at email@example.com and we will be happy to help!
CIfA2021 online conference portal
You'll receive access to our dedicated conference platform which champions flexibility and accessibility for attendees as well as great opportunities for virtual networking with colleagues.
Our custom-built, easy to use platform features:
- Build your own schedule - all of your sessions are in the one place and you can pick and choose which ones you want to attend. No need to register, wait for links in emails or keep on top of each and every link for every session. Our platform is also available as an app so you can access the conference on the go from your phone or tablet
- Live sessions - access to attend and participate in all of the live sessions on the day(s) that you've registered for
- On-demand and 90-day exclusive access to all of the recorded sessions for the day(s) you've registered - this gives you the flexibility to view sessions at your own pace or fit in with work or personal commitments. Choose to attend live sessions, watch the ones that you missed, go back and watch the ones that clash with that session you're viewing live, take a break when you need to, or return to watch the session again anytime you'd like - the site will be live for 365 days!
- Connect with other conference delegates - complete your profile, add a biography, view our attendee list and then send a request to connect. Network and make new contacts with text chat and integrated one-on-one or group video calling
- Get social - access to our virtual drop in 'chat cafes' during lunch breaks and our evening discussion sessions. Continue the conversation, catch up, meet other delegates or chat about other relevant topics
To preview our CIfA2021 conference portal, please view our demonstration video below which highlights some of these features and how you can join sessions, register, and interact with other conference delegates:
Quick start guides and more comprehensive how-to videos will also be available for our platform in the coming weeks, however if you'd like to find out more about our platform, please contact us.
Pricing and bursaries
Early bird pricing (for registrations before Wednesday 31 March 2021)
|Membership||Single day (per day)||All three days|
Please ensure you have logged in before booking to obtain your member rate
|CIfA Student member/unwaged
Please ensure you have logged in before booking to obtain the reduced rate
|Institute of Historic Building Conversation (IHBC) member
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a code prior to booking to receive your member rate
In our aim of making the conference as accessible as possible, we have a number of bursary options available to assist with the cost of registering and participating in CIfA2021. To find out more about the bursaries that are available as well as how to apply, please visit our CIfA2021 bursary options page.
With the opportunity to widen the audience of CIfA2021 using a digital platform we are also offering Registered Organisations one free place for an early career member of staff to attend the full 3 days of the conference. To register this complementary place, please email: email@example.com with the name and email address of your nominated early careers representative before Wednesday, 31 March 2021.
Registration now open
Registration for CIfA2021 is now open with early bird registration pricing available until Wednesday 31 March 2021. Fees will be increased after that date until registration closes. To find out more about joining CIfA to obtain member pricing for CIfA2021, please visit our join CIfA page to find out more.
Sponsorship, exhibitors and advertising
We have a variety of sponsorship, advertising and promotional opportunities available for the CIfA2021 online conference. To find out more, please see our 2021 sponsorship, advertising and exhibitor brochure which details our packages, options and advertising opportunities in full. To enquire about any of the options in our brochure, or for any questions or further information, please contact us via: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CIfA2021 is dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion, nationality, education, experience, career or speciality. By registering to attend CIfA2021 you confirm you have read our CIfA2021 online conference harassment page and understand that any form of harassment, discrimination and bullying is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
CIfA2021 aims to be as accessible and inclusive as possible and further information on online conference accessibility can be found here. If you have any requests or suggestions for how we can make the conference more accessible for you, please do get in touch at email@example.com.
If you have any questions or would like any further information on CIfA2021, please don’t hesitate to contact our team on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up to date with the latest conference news via our eBulletin and on social media: #CIfA2021.
CIfA2021 also supported by Historic England
Our annual conference has been held since CIfA formed in 1982. A list of recent conferences is shown below with links to the conference programme or (for more recent events) the conference webpages.
- 2020 - Cancelled due to COVID-19
- 2019 - Leeds - Archaeology: values, benefits and legacies
- 2018 - Brighton - Pulling together: collaboration, synthesis, innovation
- 2017 - Newcastle - Archaeology: a global profession
- 2016 - Leicester - Archaeology in Context
- 2015 - Cardiff - The future of your profession
- 2014 - Glasgow - Research in Practice
- 2013 - Birmingham - Making Waves
- 2012 - Oxford - Working in Partnership
- 2011 - Reading - Understanding Significance