TECHNICIAN-SUPERVISOR BUILT HERITAGE
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
(£17,650 up to £20,602)
With the continued expansion of heritage work throughout the Northern region, Wessex Archaeology are seeking a technician or supervisor to join our growing consultancy team, delivering a comprehensive range of consulting and contracting services across England and Wales. The successful candidate would be based in Sheffield, but would be expected to work across the country and alongside our teams based within our other regional offices in Salisbury, Wales, Maidstone, Bristol and Edinburgh.
An enthusiastic and dedicated heritage professional, looking to gain more experience, you will be educated to at least degree level in an appropriate subject, hold valid appropriate H&S and other training certifications, and ideally have some heritage and built heritage experience in a professional commercial archaeological environment. Experience in survey techniques including total station and GPS, ArcGIS and AutoCAD would also be advantageous.
Though this role is offered as a full-time appointment to our core team (i.e. permanent contracts), we would be pleased to consider applicants seeking either part-time, fixed term or any other form of flexible working arrangement.
Key purpose and responsibilities of the post include:
• To undertake Heritage and Built Heritage Statements, Desk-based Assessments, Buildings Appraisals and historic building recording of levels 1-4;
• To undertake surveys and recording using both hand survey techniques, total stations and GPS;
• Undertake relevant and informative photographic recording, and process digital data;
• Preparation/editing of digital site plans, cross sections and elevations using AutoCAD and ArcGIS;
• Researching, verifying and compiling data from external sources in order to prepare heritage reports including the production of drawing briefs, and liaising with internal and external specialists; and
• Ensuring the preparation of an archive suitable for deposition.
A full UK Driving Licence is essential. Membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists and/or other appropriate professional body is desirable.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form with a copy of their CV; and returned by e-mail to wa.applications [at] wessexarch.co.uk
Applications must be received by close of business on Friday 6th January 2017 Interviews are planned for the end of January 2017. An immediate start is preferable but not essential. For more information about the post please contact Lucy Dawson at l.dawson [at] wessexarch.co.uk or Matt Rous at m.rous [at] wessexarch.co.uk.
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that all applicants must be either a British citizen, EU National or hold a full work visa and where appropriate be registered under the ‘Worker Registration Scheme’, or must hold a current work permit. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.