Wessex Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in the UK and is a registered Charity whose aims are to promote the advancement of education and the advancement of the arts, culture, heritage and science.
We have offices in Salisbury, Sheffield, Rochester, Bristol, Edinburgh and Wales.
A growing portfolio of interesting terrestrial projects throughout 2015 means that we are seeking a Project Supervisor to join our Edinburgh based team. Successful applicants will assist in the delivery of office based and fieldwork services across Scotland and the rest of the UK from time to time, as required.
Prior experience of working on commercial archaeology projects, conducting watching briefs and small scale evaluations, and supervising staff on larger fieldwork projects; experience in site survey; and report writing is essential. In addition, experience in Scottish archaeology; undertaking desk based research; assisting with the drafting of WSI’s; use of digital survey applications such as DGPS; and GIS skills are highly desirable.
In addition to a degree and/or commercial archaeological experience, the successful applicants will likely possess one or more of the following: a full UK Driving Licence (essential for Supervisors), CSCS certification, SSSTS certification, and membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists or another appropriate professional body.
• Competitive salary range in line with CIfA salary guidelines (appointments will be made on the basis of demonstrated ability, previous experience and CIfA membership as appropriate).
• 50% contribution towards CIfA subscription fees
• A company Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) – confidential external advice on health and wellbeing.
• 22 days p.a. holiday entitlement (plus bank holidays) rising to 27 after 5 year’s continuous employment.
• Paid sick leave from start of contract.
• Immediate eligibility for inclusion in the group pension plan with an employer contribution of 4%.
• Free accommodation provided for projects beyond reasonable travel distances. Subsistence payment (£15 per night) and a further £5 per night breakfast contribution if in S/C accommodation.
• Free transport from regional offices to sites.
• High quality personal protective equipment.
• Drivers are entitled to time in lieu in excess of the 7.4 working day.
• Individual training and development including free BAJR skills passport, HSE certification, mentoring, annual appraisal, personal development plans and career progression maps.
• Life assurance scheme.
• Childcare vouchers.
• Bike2Work scheme.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form (available from the vacancies page on our website with a copy of their CV; and returned by e-mail to wa.applications [at] wessexarch.co.uk by 11/09/2015. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged. This is a core position with a 6 month probationary period.
Further details, including Job Descriptions, Person Specifications and Application Packs can be found here For all queries please contact Dan Atkinson – Regional Manager (Scotland).