International Practice Group
The International Practice group provides a forum for archaeologists, historic environment and cultural heritage professionals working on international projects and initiatives (or based outside the UK and the Republic of Ireland), and advise IfA council on issues relevant to international practice of archaeological and cultural heritage management.
The International Practice Group will be acting as a think tank for the delivery of the IfA strategic plan, with particular focus on:
• Promoting the advancement of archaeological and cultural heritage practice and initiatives on professional practice outside the UK and Ireland
• Exploring issues related to professional standards, methodology, ethics, training and capacity building in countries and cultures with diverse social, cultural and legal systems
• Working towards the preparation of an international code of conduct/best practice guide
• Exchanging and developing knowledge, ideas and practical experiences, to develop best practice
• Organising seminars and workshops to act as a forum for developing and maintaining best practice in matters relating to international cultural heritage
• Establishing relationships and strengthening IfA links with other international associations and organisations involved in international cultural heritage (e.g. EAA, ICOMOS, ICAHM, IAIA)
• Advising Council on actions it might take in an advocacy role to effect advances in archaeological and heritage practice and management (e.g. European Union, Council of Europe, UNESCO)
• Bringing together international commercial and academic practice on survey, research, heritage management and policy
• Increase understanding of the role of archaeologists in society and improve our status
Join the Group
Leonora O’Brien, Hon. Chair
Gerry Wait, Hon. Treasurer
Alice Hobson, Hon. Secretary
Ordinary members of the Committee
Get Involved! The International Practice Group is now on LinkedIn. Please do join up to participate in discussions, provide feedback and receive regular updates on group activities. If you’re on LinkedIn please visit the group page here
IfA Conference: IPSIG session
IPSIG hosted a session at the 2014 IfA Conference in Glasgow entitled Research without boundaries. Below are the pdf’s of some of the presentations.
Research without boundaries
Session handout and overview Research without boundaries - Leonora O’Brien World heritage sites: global opportunity, national challenge - Lesley Macinnes Navigating collaborative European projects in archaeology - Holly Wright Discovering the archaeologists of the World - Kenneth Aitchison and Doug Rocks-Macqueen Hummingbird (Dugbe I) gold project, Liberia - Ken Whittaker IPSIG AGM presentation - Leonora O’Brien
These will be updated shortly!