The International Practice group provides a forum for archaeologists, historic environment and
cultural heritage professionals working on international projects and initiatives (or based outside the UK and
the Republic of Ireland), and advise CIfA Advisory Council on issues relevant to international practice of archaeological and
cultural heritage management.
The International Practice Group will be acting as a think tank for the delivery of the CIfA strategic plan, with particular focus on:
- Promoting the advancement of archaeological and cultural heritage practice and initiatives on professional practice outside the UK and Ireland
- Exploring issues related to professional standards, methodology, ethics, training and capacity building in countries and cultures with diverse social, cultural and legal systems
- Working towards the preparation of an international code of conduct/best practice guide
- Exchanging and developing knowledge, ideas and practical experiences, to develop best practice
- Organising seminars and workshops to act as a forum for developing and maintaining best practice in matters relating to international cultural heritage
- Establishing relationships and strengthening CIfA links with other international associations and organisations involved in international cultural heritage (e.g. EAA, ICOMOS, ICAHM, IAIA)
- Advising Council on actions it might take in an advocacy role to effect advances in archaeological and heritage practice and management (e.g. European Union, Council of Europe, UNESCO)
- Bringing together international commercial and academic practice on survey, research, heritage management and policy
- Increase understanding of the role of archaeologists in society and improve our status
Join the Group
Membership is free to CIfA members (£10 for non-members). To join, please contact us by email (groups [at] archaeologists.net), or via the CIfA office at Tel: 0118 378 6446
Leonora O’Brien, Hon. Chair
Gerry Wait, Hon. Treasurer
Alice Hobson, Hon. Secretary
Ordinary members of the Committee
John Sode Woodhead
Specialist group liaisons/advisor's
Evelyne Godfrey (ICON)
Zsolt Magyar (Central & Eastern Europe)
Kevin Wooldridge (Scandinavia)
The International Practice Group is now on LinkedIn. Please do join up to participate in discussions, provide feedback and receive regular updates on group activities. If you’re on LinkedIn please visit the group page here
To be announced...
IPSIG hosted their Summer social: A summer night at the museum in May 2015. This involved a visit to the Indigenous Australia: enduring civilisation exhibition at the British Museum, London followed by a social evening in a nearby pub.
Conference: IPSIG session
IPSIG hosted a session at the 2014 IfA Conference in Glasgow entitled Research without boundaries.
Below are the pdf's of some of the presentations.
Research without boundaries
Session handout and overview
Research without boundaries - Leonora O'Brien
World heritage sites: global opportunity, national challenge - Lesley Macinnes
Navigating collaborative European projects in archaeology - Holly Wright
Discovering the archaeologists
of the World - Kenneth Aitchison and Doug Rocks-Macqueen
Hummingbird (Dugbe I) gold
project, Liberia - Ken Whittaker
Business plan 2014-2017