The International Practice group provides a forum for archaeologists, historic environment and cultural heritage professionals working on international projects and initiatives (or based outside the UK and the Republic of Ireland), and advise IfA council on issues relevant to international practice of archaeological and cultural heritage management.
The International Practice Group will be acting as a think tank for the delivery of the IfA strategic plan, with particular focus on:
• Promoting the advancement of archaeological and cultural heritage practice and initiatives on professional practice outside the UK and Ireland
• Exploring issues related to professional standards, methodology, ethics, training and capacity building in countries and cultures with diverse social, cultural and legal systems
• Working towards the preparation of an international code of conduct/best practice guide
• Exchanging and developing knowledge, ideas and practical experiences, to develop best practice
• Organising seminars and workshops to act as a forum for developing and maintaining best practice in matters relating to international cultural heritage
• Establishing relationships and strengthening IfA links with other international associations and organisations involved in international cultural heritage (e.g. EAA, ICOMOS, ICAHM, IAIA)
• Advising Council on actions it might take in an advocacy role to effect advances in archaeological and heritage practice and management (e.g. European Union, Council of Europe, UNESCO)
• Bringing together international commercial and academic practice on survey, research, heritage management and policy
• Increase understanding of the role of archaeologists in society and improve our status
Leonora O’Brien, Hon. Chair
Gerry Wait, Hon. Treasurer
Alice Hobson, Hon. Secretary
Ordinary members of the Committee
Get Involved! The International Practice Group is now on LinkedIn. Please do join up to participate in discussions, provide feedback and receive regular updates on group activities. If you’re on LinkedIn please visit the group page here
We would like to invite members to get together for a visit to the Indigenous Australia: enduring civilisation exhibition at the British Museum, London, on Friday 22 May 2015, from 1730 to 2030, followed by a social evening in a nearby pub. Cost £10 adults, free to members of the British Museum.
If you are interested in joining the group, please email us at email@example.com by Friday 20 March so we can gauge numbers and book timed tickets.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Conference: IPSIG session
IPSIG hosted a session at the 2014 IfA Conference in Glasgow entitled Research without boundaries.
Below are the pdf’s of some of the presentations.