WYG are an international, award-winning, multidisciplinary consultancy, delivering creative solutions to some of the world’s most challenging projects. Our values are at the heart of every project. We’re confident in our abilities, authentic in the advice we give, imaginative in our thinking and resourceful in how we turn our ideas into reality. But most of all, we’re a people business, so our success is down to the creativity, technical expertise and client service skills of our people. We aim to stand out as an employer that people want to join. That’s why we offer our people real opportunities for learning, career development and rewards.
Britain’s heritage is a vital part of our culture and its conservation and enhancement is an important part of the development process. There is often a need to provide for sensitive change to archaeology, historic buildings and areas. When handled well, archaeology and historic environments can adapt to meet modern day uses and can integrate successfully with well-designed new development. We have a dedicated Archaeology & Heritage Team with significant experience in crafting these development solutions. Many of our projects include listed buildings, conservation areas and scheduled ancient monuments. WYG is proud to be a Registered Organisation with CIfA.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Due to business growth are currently looking for an experienced Senior Archaeological and Heritage Consultant to join our established, friendly, Archaeology and Heritage Team in Leeds. Reporting to the Associate Director (Team Leader) you will provide high quality archaeological consultancy advice and support to a variety of private and public sector clients.
Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Preparing archaeological and heritage desk based assessments and related appraisals of land, assets for development led projects and undertaking requisite research and analysis to support appraisals and more detailed assessments and related impact assessments such as ES chapters.
- Undertaking condition surveys of heritage assets and associated reporting.
- Provision of advice, support and review of relevant archaeological and heritage planning documentation on behalf of Local Planning Authorities.
- You will liaise, negotiate and develop relationships with planning officers, consultees, interested organisations, third parties and fellow professionals, prepare and present at internal and external meetings, assist in drawing up and negotiating competitive proposals and provide evidence in support of archaeological and heritage strategies
- Preparation of WSI’s and supporting documentation in relation to all aspects of archaeological and heritage related fieldwork will be required and experience in the production or review of costs for fieldwork is desirable. You will also undertake monitoring of on site works and review of contractor outputs
- Awareness of market conditions, government policies and contribution to the preparation/editing of reports, assessments, and other planning supporting documents will also be required.
- Line management responsibilities for emerging staff will be required
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in archaeology and or a related qualification and member of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists and/or working towards membership
- You will have broad knowledge of the UK Planning system in relation to archaeology and heritage and a thorough knowledge of archaeology and heritage subject matter and the application of policy.
- You will be IT literate with financial management skills or a willingness to learn these
- You will have excellent written and communications skills, ability to work individually and as part of a team, thrive under pressure and able to work to tight deadlines. Flexibility and a willingness to adapt to changing situations is critical.
- Relevant archaeological and heritage fieldwork experience
- Experience of working within a consultancy organisation would be desirable
- Experience of working with buildings and assets of historic interest desirable
- A full UK driving licence
In return for your dedication, you’ll enjoy an excellent remuneration package, including contributory pension, life insurance, health cover and flexible working options. Pick and choose your perfect blend from advantages including childcare, additional holiday and travel insurance. You’ll also benefit from a tailored package of professional training and development, with support to achieve your career goals and a fully paid professional membership subscription.
The WYG flexible benefits scheme was introduced in recognition of the fact that the needs and priorities of each individual differ. WYG “Flexible Benefits” is a menu of benefit options which allows you to vary your remuneration package to suit your own personal circumstances.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form on our web site with a copy of their CV;
For further information, please call 028 9070 6010 or email: robert.magee [at] wyg.com
Closing date for applications will be 12.00pm on Friday 9 September 2016
WYG wishes to ensure equal opportunity is given to all job applicants. We will not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender (including gender reassignment status), sexual orientation, religious belief, political opinion, marital status, age or disability.