Geophysics Special Interest Group (GeoSIG)
Members of the Institute for Archaeologists (IfA) and the wider archaeological geophysical community have come together to form the IfA Geophysics Special Interest Group (GeoSIG). Open to both IfA members and non-IfA members, the GeoSIG represents the interests of archaeological geophysicists to IfA council and in the Institute’s activities.
The role of GeoSIG is to
- act as a focus for IfA members interested in geophysics
- produce documents and guidelines relating to geophysical work
- promote geophysical work constructively within the structure of archaeology
The group is currently examining a number of specific issues
- the practical implementation of guidelines such as the Geophysical Survey in Archaeological Field Evaluation (English Heritage, 2008)
- archiving of geophysical data
- training and CPD for practitioners in archaeological geophysics
- training and CPD for users of archaeological geophysics
GeoSIG is working closely with ISAP, NSGG, and EuroGPR to ensure that we keep up to date with developments in the wider geophysical community. The committee also has close links with the Near Surface committee of EAGE.
Join the Group
Membership is free to IfA members (£10 for non-members). To join, please contact the IfA office at
Tel: 0118 378 6446
The GeoSIG committee comprises of:
Jimmy Adcock (Chair)
Paul Baggaley (Secretary)
Chris Leech (Treasurer)
More information coming soon!
Commercial Archaeological Geophysics Seminar - Friday 15 March - Saturday 16 March 2014
More information about this event can be found here
A one day seminar on Geophysics was hosted with ALGAO on November 2010. Some of the presentations from the day can be downloaded below